Saturday, March 15, 2014

Sonia Louise Davis: Selections at Corridor Gallery March 30th - May 17th 2014

 Sonia Louise Davis: selections

Opening Reception, Sunday March 30th, 4-6pm
Artist Talk, Sunday April 13th, 4-6pm

Rush Arts is pleased to present the works of Sonia Louise Davis in the Corridor Gallery Project Space.  Sonia Louise Davis was selected from the 2013 artists submissions, and we are thrilled to be exhibiting a collection of her photographs in Sonia Louise Davis: selections. These intimate still lives are reflections of time and space seen through a personal nostalgia celebrating the everyday, and the intimacy of objects.  





Sonia Louise Davis 
Artist Statement
"tracing(s) belonging(s)" is an ongoing site-specific investigation. Over the past few years I have been making images in and about Harlem with a 4×5 monorail camera. I’m drawn to the physical shooting process, moving slowly through the streets around my apartment I attempt to weave my own story into the visual fabric of my neighborhood. I take Harlem as my subject and context, and my practice is both documentary and autobiographical. Drawing on collective memory and family history, I’m interested in framing the personal past in this mythic and everyday place.

The objects featured in the still-lives belonged to my grandparents and hold personal sentimental value. As temporary constructions on the streets of Harlem, they become physical reminders of the legacies of the past as well as absent portraits of sitters long gone. The documentary street images provide context, surrounding staged scenes with anti-landmarks, forgotten storefronts and mid-block bursts of color. These lonely cityscapes balance the intimate moments made and captured by my camera. I see this body of work as a way to pay my respects to the important people in my life who have passed and to a historic neighborhood in the midst of massive change. It is my attempt to preserve local histories and pay homage to Harlem’s rich cultural past with an eye towards the future.


Sonia Louise Davis
Born and raised in New York City, Sonia Louise Davis is an honors graduate of Wesleyan University. She has exhibited artwork and facilitated projects in traditional galleries and local community spaces throughout New York City, New Jersey, Connecticut and in Chicago. Sonia participated in the Artist in the Marketplace (AIM) Program at the Bronx Museum of the Arts, was a Residency Unlimited Artist-in-Residence at the Casita Maria Center for Arts and Education, and a Create Change Fellow at the Laundromat Project. She has exhibited her work with En Foco and is a grantee of the Puffin Foundation and the Lower Manhattan Cultural Council. Sonia lives and works in Harlem.


For Inquiries contact gallery director Charlotte Mouquin charlotte.mouquin@gmail.com

Corridor Gallery
334 Grand Ave
Brooklyn, NY 11238
718-230-5002

Gallery Hours
Friday - Saturday 12-6pm
also by appointment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment